“Make My Getaway” the final painting-a-day landscape (for now…)

August 12, 2013

Make My Getaway: 16x20 in Oil on Canvas, Landscape by Emily Jeffords

Make My Getaway: 16x20 in Oil on Canvas, Landscape by Emily Jeffords

Make My Getaway: 16x20 in Oil on Canvas, Landscape by Emily Jeffords

Make My Getaway is a soulful, poetic landscape full of moody grays and blues in contrast with warm nearly-neon yellows and soft pinks.  It seems as though a storm is rolling in, getting ready to disturb your summery day at the beach, but it’s so beautiful and the pre-storm calm is so powerful you almost want to get drenched in just  for the fun of it and to be a part of the beautiful majesty.

The brush strokes and the motion in this painting are really striking.  I showed you several photos of the texture of the strokes so you can get a sense of the texture, but I so wish you could see Make My Getaway in person!  Several of the strokes are exceptionally thick and heavy, others are light and flowing.  When I’m painting I often feel like I’m sculpting with paint.  The depth and texture of the brush strokes adds so much form

I spend my days painting and photographing these landscapes, and my evenings editing and writing.  Tonight, while editing these photos (I take, many, many photos) I was listening to Hugh Laurie’s new album.  His music is such a delicate balance of humorous, sorrowful, lighthearted, and tragic and he shows such incredible skill on the piano.  I am always amazed while listening to Hugh play (speaking as one who has spent days and days sitting at the keys), his fingers seem to skip and dance with so much childlike energy.
ANYWAYS, (this really isn’t a paid ad for Hugh – he doesn’t really need my help…) while listening to this album, one tiny line jumped out at me: “Make My Getaway”.  It seemed completely perfect for this painting.  The rush of the sky, the change in weather, it just seemed to capture both sides of this painting (the care-free light and the coming storm).

Make My Getaway,
16×20 inches, o
il on canvas
now available in my studio shop for $100

This is the LAST painting-a-day landscape for a while.  Next on my plate: moving to our new home, a big-deal indie art show, and 20 commission landscape paintings!  Woohoo!

Make My Getaway: 16x20 in Oil on Canvas, Landscape by Emily Jeffords signature

1. August 12, 2013 12:41 pm

It is beautiful!!! Love the colours…even if it seems that a storm is coming is so peaceful!!

2. August 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Your paintings are so lovely, Emily!! Good luck moving into your new home and all the craziness that ensues.

3. August 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Funny you should mention Hugh Laurie. I was listening to a BBC radio interview with him just Saturday night. He is such a talented man. Love his music and he is easily one of the funniest people alive!
    Your paintings are lovely and you have been a massive positive influence over the last couple of weeks. You inspired me to pick up the paintbrushes again:) Thanks! Hopefully I can return the favour one day by buying one of yours:)

4. August 13, 2013 11:13 am

So happy you made your goal! Art from the heart makes for many wonderful things to happen… beautiful as always, Alexandra

5. August 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Love your painting and esp with up close photos that shows the texture :)

6. August 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Wow! This is beautiful! I love the colors!

7. October 9, 2013 9:44 pm

I love it! I recently started painting, but I can only aspire to make something as great as this! Wish I lived in your area so I could check out the studio.

houseofsayre.wordpress.com