Easiest Ever Chalkboard Lettering DIY

January 7, 2013

Hello!

This is a DIY I did for one of my favorite groups, the Indie Craft Parade, but I have never shared it with you, my dear readers! This DIY has been SO HELPFUL and I think you’re going to find yourself painting everything with chalkboard paint just so you can add your own super-professional “handwriting” all over the place.

I’m sure you have noticed the growing chalkboard lettering craze sweeping America and Europe right now. It’s pretty awesome. Well, it’s awesome if you have freakishly amazing handwriting (which I don’t!) I can barely write an address on an envelope with grace. Sadly, I’m going to have to leave the hand-lettering to the likes of Dana Tanamachi and Molly Jaques.

ChalkboardDIY1 ChalkboardDIY2

ChalkboardDIY2

This chalkboard DIY is so stylish, so trendy, and so, so easy.

Things I leaned during this DIY:

1. Chalkboard spray paint is a total joke. Just use flat black paint and mix in a tiny bit of unsanded tile grout or buy a can of chalkboard paint.
2. Really, really, really cover the paper with chalk. It will save you so much time in the long run.
3. You might want to do a few words with larger text… not going to lie, this took quite a while because my text was so small (and I’m a bit of a perfectionist.)
4. A small paintbrush + water is like a magic eraser.
5. If you love what you’ve done and want to keep it forever, evenly spray a light layer of aerosol hairspray to seal the chalk.

I hope this inspires you to have fun creating something amazing and original.Signature

1. January 7, 2013 9:50 am

What a great idea….love it!

2. January 7, 2013 10:22 am

agreed, this is a great little tutorial and i didn’t know that hairspray can help seal what you’ve written more permanently–so good to know!

• January 7, 2013 10:59 pm

Yes! And if you want to remove it in the future, a gentle rub with sandpaper and a warm cloth should do the trick. Have fun!

3. January 7, 2013 3:17 pm

Awesome tutorial – looks great :) P.s I love your washi tape bunting :)

4. sarah permalink
    January 7, 2013 3:19 pm

hmm..i see this project in my future. thanks a bunch.

5. vediseir permalink
    January 7, 2013 3:40 pm

Love this idea!

6. January 7, 2013 6:38 pm

I painted a wall for my son’s playroom with chalkboard paint and we love how it turned out, this idea is great, I might do one of these with an old frame I have ;-) btw, I didn’t know you can use unsanded tile grout with black paint to get same result ;-) thanks for the tips

• January 7, 2013 11:04 pm

I can’t wait to paint a wall in chalkboard paint! We live such gypsy lives with the Air Force that I haven’t been able to commit to a total wall (renting has some drawbacks…) Someday!!

• January 8, 2013 4:43 pm

That’s true, if you are renting it, they might not like it, one day :-) I would love to paint one wall (the one in our dining room but my hubby is reluctant to this) ;-)

7. January 8, 2013 12:00 am

Hi! I love the idea but I have a question… what is the name of the font that you use on “goodness”? and where I can download it? because I really love it :)

8. January 8, 2013 12:35 pm

Great fonts and tutorial!

9. January 10, 2013 4:41 pm

I love chalk fonts and I totally suck at doing them so this, my friend, is a great tutorial!

10. January 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Wow! Great idea!!! :):)

11. January 16, 2013 2:03 am

Love that song ;)

12. May 20, 2013 2:04 pm

So glad I found this tutorial!! I (like the rest of the world right now!) am obsessed with all things chalkboard- and this is so helpful! Thanks!!
    -Shan

13. lynsey permalink
    June 9, 2013 6:31 pm

Just did this tutorial for a sign for my wedding. I put so much chalk on that I barely needed to touch it up. Brilliant. Thank you so much!

14. Lori permalink
    November 3, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi, I just love this tutorial! Could you tell me what font the words, “Singing” and, “To Find” are in?

15. December 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Would you be willing to share the wording you put together? I love the song, 10,000 Reasons and love the way you put it together.

16. February 4, 2014 10:54 pm

I just discovered your blog, Emily, thanks for the DIY tips, artist interviews, etc etc. Love it!

17. February 16, 2014 9:16 pm

In the bedroom, window treatments have double duty.

We’d set them up on the baking sheet or other surface.

We also got him some finger puppets as well as a few soft musical toys.

18. April 7, 2014 7:26 am

Great idea! Something so simple yet looks professional.

19. Keri permalink
    April 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Okay now for those who haven’t tried it, it totally works. Depending on your font and how you colour the back with the chalk, you may get more than a faint outline. I’m using purple and blue so its easy to see where I coloured the back with chalk. Also, I rubbed the front pretty hard with the pencil so I think that also comes into play. Thanks for this!

Trackbacks

1. Chalkboards in the Home - Dreaming of June
  2. DIY Chalkboard Menu Board » Trial VegetarianTrial Vegetarian
  3. bridal shower prep | Artbook
  4. "Love is sweet" dessert bridal shower | Artbook
  5. Sadie's Ballet Bash! | Artbook
  6. Valentine's Day Poems to Write on a Chalkboard - Chalkboards Etc.
  7. Snack Jars | 3595